Sunday, July 1, 2007

A Bunch of Buttercups

I confess - I love babies! From the little toes to the button nose, I find them irresistible. In fact, I think that if babies could stay babies forever -- well, we probably wouldn't get any sleep. But anyway, I thought I'd share some photos of babies that have been at my house:


















These are just a few. The truth is, that there has been over 100 of these babies in my house and the surprise is that I made them all! Amazing!

I have to be honest though, I am not superwoman - these 'babies' are all dolls and my business is Buttercup Babies Nursery. Now, I didn't actually sculpt these dolls or mold the plastic. The dolls are all play dolls - basic vinyl 'dollies'. The process of making a plastic doll like this:


Into a 'baby' that looks like this:


is a long and tedious process, but I find it to be a rewarding and challenging hobby.

For two years, I sold my dolls on Ebay. My first doll sold for $238. My highest doll sold for $1,875. I produced one doll a week during that period of time. And I became one of the best known and 'in demand' reborners on Ebay; 'reborner' being the term for someone who transforms a doll into a work of art.

After a couple of years of this, the demand for these dolls, in general, began to slow down. Just like the Beanie Baby phenomenon, the fad was losing momentum.

But there are still a lot of doll collectors out there who well recall Buttercup Babies. On occasion I will pick up a plastic doll that appeals to me and enjoy bringing it to 'life' as they say in the business. Or someone will send me an email asking me to work on a doll for her, maybe to try to make a doll that resembles one of her children or grandchildren as a baby. And I love to do it!

So, enjoy the photos of my Buttercups. All of these babies have been 'adopted' (again, business talk!). But, there will be more to come.

If you are interested in seeing a photo show of more of my Buttercup Babies, click on this link:

photoshow.comcast.net/grayhenry

and on the right side, click on the Buttercup Babies gallery. Enjoy! Let me know if you like my creations.....

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Kris, Are you back in the doll business again? They look so real I can't believe it. Check out my blog at sharonduh.blogspot.com and then Michele KOvak's is
chelemom.blogspot.com

Sharon said...

Kris, are you in the doll business again? They look so real I can't believe it. Check out my blog at sharonduh.blogspot.com
and Michele Kovak's at
chelemom.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristina,

Not only me but also every visitor of your blog will definitely gonna think like the way I thought...they are sooo real...thats awesome work...hats off...

I hope your business is going to rock again...cheers

Anonymous said...

These babies are so beautiful! My three girls have just sat through the slideshow three times!
I hope you start making them again to sell. You have a wonderful talent.

Debra Schott said...

I am just 'Blown away!'....You make AWESOME babies...I am just a beginner and new member at doll-fan.com ... and you are just my hero right now!