Thursday, May 10, 2007

What is Tuscan and how did we do without it until now?

Before I go off on my rant, let me just say that I really have a problem with trendy stuff. I also hate the term, 'upscale'. Just so you know where I'm coming from.

That being said, yesterday morning I was going to White Hen for coffee. Plastered on the front window was a huge sign advertising their new and wonderful TUSCAN vegetable soup. I was kind of admiring the look of the soup, it did look delicious, but my happy thoughts suffered from whiplash as I did a mental double take and re-read TUSCAN in the description.

WHY does everything have to be Tuscan suddenly? Is it because of that movie? As far as I know, Tuscany is what this Tuscan thing is based on. Tuscany, I learned, is part of Italy. I think its been there for a very very long time. Probably longer than the United States.

But I'd say its just in the past year or so that I've been seeing TUSCAN everything, including White Hen soup.

So, I did a Google search just to see how widespread this buzz word has become. I found that there is now Tuscan home decor, Tuscan cooking, the Best Western Tuscan Inn in California, Tuscan flatbread, Tuscan Hall conference center in Texas, Tuscan whole milk available at Amazon. com, Tuscan Lakes (an 870 acre planned community), AND a Tuscan Siamese cat breedery. How can all of these diverse things be described by one common word: Tuscan?

Why does everyone want Tuscan things, all of a sudden? What is the attraction here? It isn't a particularly lovely word; nor does it roll off the tongue melodically like cochlea or march importantly like Rastafarian. Just why would you need your soup to be Tuscan or your cat either for that matter?

I need to get off this rant immediately before someone gets offended. Most likely, someone somewhere has just named their new baby Tuscan Marie or Tuscan Elliott and you know how irritated people can get if you criticize their kid. Before I quit, though, I'm offering you this lovely Tuscan Rose so you can contemplate its similarity to a gallon of milk.


(yes, it really is called a "Tuscan Rose")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have noticed that to be a buzz word. Anything to make people believe that they are escaping from their own life to something better.

Anonymous said...

Amen. I was just looking on line to see the same thing, where did this buzz word come from and why is it so whidespread into our culture? I live in a big city, and when I head to Suburbia, Tuscan or Tuscany is everywhere. Tuscan design this or that; all the chain restaurants use the words on their menus. My sisters what to have a Tuscan kitchen in their house; ask them what it is or where, they don't know. Who was the marketing genious who came up with this one?